London Institute of Business & Technology undertakes internal verification to ensure that our qualifications meet the required external standards. This means that the assessment of learner work will be transparent, authentic, reliable, valid, relevant and inclusive. There will be documented evidence to show that internal verification has taken place and appropriate feedback has been provided to the assessors.
The Institute shall ensure that the internal verifier is fully conversant with the qualifications and the assessment processes and is an experienced assessor. The internal verifier will have participated in relevant training to undertake their role.
2. Internal Verification Process
The Internal Verifier will manage the process for the relevant qualification. They will ensure the following activities are completed to the correct standards:
- The internal verifier will have an overview of the assessment process at the Institute for the specific qualifications where they have responsibility. This will include how formative and summative assessment is used and when this takes place.
- The internal verifier will inform and guide the assessors to be clear about the rules and process for assessment. In particular, assessors will understand that to succeed in a unit a learner must demonstrate achievement of all learning outcomes at the standard set out in the assessment criteria relating to the learning outcome. Assessors will understand the importance of command verbs and the requirement to provide sufficient evidence to show that standards have been met. The internal verifier will ensure that assessors understand what learners need to do to achieve higher grades where units are graded.
- The internal verifier will lead standardisation meetings where assessors will gain knowledge and understanding of the requirements of the units and the associated assignments. Assessors will understand the requirements of the assignments provided by the awarding body or any internally devised assignments that have been approved.
- The internal verifier will ensure that the assessment is completed according to the Institute’s stated timescales and that appropriate criterion-referenced feedback is given to learners.
- The internal verifier will ensure that assessors are using the correct documentation and that all assessment judgements are recorded centrally so that learner progress is tracked. The internal verifier will also ensure that records of assessment judgements, IV records, and learner work are retained for the time specified by the awarding body.
- The internal verifier will participate in decisions on applications for special consideration and ensure the outcomes are recorded so that the external verifier can access them.
- The internal verifier will ensure that assessors understand how to interpret the plagiarism reports, which accompany the learner's work, and are clear on dealing with any identified issues. The assessors will always take the plagiarism reports into account at assessment.
- The internal verifier will ensure that assessors are informed about communications from the awarding body and the contents of external verification reports, including any action points given.
- The internal verifier will ensure that learner work and the associated records required by the awarding body are organised so that external verification can occur.
- The internal verifier will decide whether an inquiry or appeal is made to the awarding body.
- The internal verifier will ensure the sample taken for internal verification meets the following criteria. The sample for each qualification will include:
- the judgements made by every assessor who has taken decisions;
- learner work for every unit which has been assessed in the qualification;
- the work for each learner up to 10 learners and then 10% of the remaining cohort;
- different types of learner work e.g., oral work, calculations, research reports etc.;
- learner work submitted for pass, merit, or distinction grades and where the work was judged not to meet the pass standards;
- two examples of judgements made by any newly appointed assessors
The criteria may change when new qualifications are being assessed for the first time or when issues have been identified in previous internal verifications.
- At the internal verification, each assessor will receive detailed, specific, and constructive feedback on the forms designated for this purpose. This feedback will assist the assessor in their professional development.
- Where the assessor needs to take any actions, the internal verifier will set a reasonable timescale for these actions to be completed. This will include any re-assessment and grading of learner work and/or any changes to learner feedback. The internal verifier will check that actions have been completed, which will be indicated on the Internal Verification (IV) Template.
- Samples of Internal Verification judgements and associated written documentation will be monitored by the Lead Internal Verifier, who will provide feedback and intervene as required.
Last updated on May 23, 2023 by LIBT Policy Committee
Approved by: Sesiri Pathirane – Board of Directors
Company Name: London Institute of Business & Technology Limited
Company Address: The Nunnery, Old Castletown Road, Douglas, IM2 1QB, Isle of Man, British Isles.
Date for the subsequent policy review: May 22, 2024